>> You should assume that I have an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection, to any suppliers of goods and services that may be discussed here, and may be compensated for showing ads or recommending products or services, or linking to the supplier's website. That means if you make a purchase, I get paid a few bucks to support my fancy coffee habit. :)
My inbox continues to overflow with bloggers and business owners looking for WordPress website help...
How do I make my WordPress website look like the theme demo?
I am STUCK setting up my WordPress website...HELP!
I hit publish on my WordPress page only to refresh and find my website still doesn’t look quite right, what am I doing wrong?
Do you struggle with setting up your WordPress website?
You are not alone!
I get it.
Setting up your WordPress website can be confusing, challenging and sometimes overwhelming.
There are times when I still get stuck too.
The following email arrived in my inbox from the sweetest woman, Marie Rose:
"I have a website which needs some help.
She went on to say:
I have no problem with creating the content, it's basically WordPress formatting that I have difficulty with. I have been posting monthly since August 2017 making for a very long Home page. I need to get the previous months into Archives but I don't know how.
Her biggest concerns were:
I simply want the Home page to contain only the current month's blog.
Home page repeats entire contents for a second time.
Contact page needs box formatting.
I don't do internet jargon well, or at all, so I'm sure widgets or plugins would help with some other questions I have like: can I get other fonts installed, use a block formatting on text, make a listing of tags for web recognition, create borders around quotes... etc.
I am looking for someone to correct my problems and work with me as a tutor. Once the Archives page is set up I want to be able to make the monthly transfers myself."
Marie Rose was simply looking for someone to set up her WordPress website to her specifications so that she could easily add her content going forward.
WordPress Website Help
Together, Marie Rose and I, came up with a plan to get her website working for her:
- WordPress Website Review: I would review her overall website design and setup and make suggestions based upon my findings.
- Premium WP Theme + Plugins: I would install a Premium WP Theme and Premium Drag + Drop Page Builder. ($140 value)
- Essential Plugins: The essential plugins that I use and recommend would be installed and set up for her. Additional plugins would be added as needed.
- Overall Design: The overall design would be set up to her specifications with the following items addressed: Home Page re-design (only current blog displayed), Contact Page re-design (box formatting), Organize Blog Post Archives, Create Tag Cloud, Font Options, Other Formatting Issues.
- Video Tutorials: Over 70+ Video Tutorials would be included in her dashboard to help her learn WordPress if she got stuck.
- 90 minute 1:1 Video Coaching Session: I would show her how to create pages and posts with the Premium Page Builder and easily update her website. No need to hire someone every time she has a change. Plus, I would answer any questions she may have.
1 | WordPress Website Review
Marie Rose knew what she wanted. She had an exact idea in mind and needed a WordPress Consultant like myself to help her set up her WordPress website.
2 | Install Premium WordPress Theme + Plugins
Marie Rose had the TwentySeventeen WordPress theme installed. While this is a popular theme, it doesn't look very pretty nor does it have many customization options.
I installed my "go-to" WordPress theme, GeneratePress. It is lightweight, fast and mobile responsive. The GeneratePress theme plays nice with all of the plugins that I use. Plus, it can be customized a million different ways.
Marie Rose was accustomed to using Microsoft Word to copy and paste her blog content into the WYSIWYG text editor. However, she experienced a number of formatting issues when doing this.
I installed a Premium Page Builder so that she will be able to make edits on the front end of her website with an easy to use drag and drop builder.
3 | Install WordPress Plugins
To get started, I installed the essential WordPress plugins to meet her needs: easy to edit design, a text editor similar to Microsoft Word, mail deliverability and a working contact form.
PRO TIP: The type and number of WordPress plugins required for your website will vary depending upon the individual needs of your site. It is best to only install plugins from the WordPress Plugin Directory that are well known and updated frequently by their author.
4 | Set Up Overall Design
Once the WordPress theme and plugins were installed, I got to work customizing the overall design to meet Marie Rose's needs as outlined below:
- Home Page re-design (only current blog displayed)
- Contact Page re-design (box formatting)
- Organize Blog Post Archives
- Create Tag Cloud
- More Font Options
- Other Formatting Issues
5 | WordPress Video Tutorials
Included in the custom dashboard of all my client WordPress website projects are 70+ WordPress Video Tutorials that you can access at your convenience.
Some of the topics covered in the WordPress Video Tutorials include:
- Google Analytics
- Page Builder
6 | 1:1 WordPress Coaching Call
The final step was to schedule a 1:1 WordPress coaching call with Marie Rose so that I could show her how to customize, edit and add content to her WordPress website.
Do you need WordPress website help?
Let me help! I partner with business owners to launch professionally designed websites that get results. You get the tools, training and support you need!